Friday, November 25, 2011

Finding the Perfect Career: 3 Things You Should Consider


Choosing a career is not easy, especially if you don’t exactly know yet what you want to be in the future. It is one of the most important and difficult decisions that we have to make. What makes it difficult is the fact that it is a decision of a lifetime. Even as kids, we were often asked what we want to be in the future; I remember as a kid I would say I like to be a nurse someday, and then when I started going to school, I envied my teachers and so I thought I want to be a teacher when I grow up. 

Then there was also a time I want to be an engineer because I did excel in our math subjects. So by the time I am about to enter college, I’m quite confused on what course to take; and during that time, there was a high demand for Registered nurses. There are many options and opportunities await successful nursing graduates at that time,  because of these opportunities plus the fact that my mom wants me to become a nurse someday, I took up nursing without thinking if that is really what I want for myself.

But I realize it was not really meant for me, after 2 semesters in the college of nursing, I shifted to another course, Accountancy.  Yes, I know I have to set aside my doubts and just look forward to a successful Accounting career. I was really having a hard time deciding on which career path to take back then. What I learned from that experience is that, when deciding on what career to take, there are things that you should give consideration to.

Consider your Interest – Choosing a career that is within your interest will definitely help you to become successful someday. Always bear in mind to choose a career where your passion lies. So that whatever problems that you may encounter, you won’t easily give up since you love what you are doing.

Choose a Career where you Excel – Although, it is important to choose a career that is basically of your interest, it is also important to consider if you really have the capabilities to excel in that field. Taking some aptitude test or taking some assessment exam will help you discover if you really fit for that profession. Remember, in college we were given aptitude tests to assess what particular areas of learning we excel.

Choose a Career with a High Income Potential – It pays to be practical sometimes, aside from giving consideration to your interest, and your assessment result, you should also consider whether you’ll get to earn and be able to sustain the kind of lifestyle you have. After all, the primary reason why you are working is to earn a living.

Choosing a career is something we really have to face, so we have to carefully think about this, others do not even have a choice. You are indeed lucky to be doing something that you love and at the same time earning more than the average. 

No comments:

Post a Comment