Sunday, March 4, 2012

Why Do You Volunteer?

People often ask me why I volunteer. I’ve always wondered why people even ask that question. There are so many great reasons to volunteer; I think the real question is why don’t you volunteer? But with that aside, I have to admit that I wasn’t always honest about my answer. Whenever I was faced with that question in the past, I’d always respond with the “helping others” reply. But, that was never really true. Not entirely. Sure, I wanted to help other people who really needed help, but why did I want to do that? Because it made me feel good about myself. Volunteering makes me feel like a better person.

Regardless of my question about why you don’t volunteer, I actually don’t judge non-volunteerers. I’ve lived long enough to know that you never truly know someone else’s situation unless you walk a mile in their shoes. Although most people just make excuses, it’s true that not everyone has the time or money to donate to a cause. But, I think if everyone knew how good it could make them feel, more people would stop making excuses and start making time.

And, you know what? It’s not just me who feels this way. A recent poll showed that 89 percent of volunteers said that the act of volunteering actually improved their sense of well-being. And 73 percent believed that volunteering lowered their stress levels. You see, it’s not so much about other people at all. It’s more about how we feel after helping someone. Personally, when I volunteer, I feel more of a sense of purpose than the times when I don’t. Even if I’m selfishly volunteering for the great feeling I get from it, the fact that I’m actually contributing to society makes me feel more like I have a reason to be here on this earth; or I’m at least making an impact on the world while I’m here. I’ve learned it’s okay to volunteer for selfish reasons, and I’ve since changed my answer to the question of “why.” I can now honestly admit that I hang up my administrative assistant hat and volunteer at the soup kitchen simply because it makes me feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment