Sunday, February 26, 2012

Volunteer to do Something You Love

Recently, I was perusing the Volunteer Match website and I found a match that is absolutely perfect for me – It’s volunteering to help plan an event. I love planning parties and such, so this is seriously right up my alley and the proceeds go to Cancer research, so I can feel good that my efforts are going to help a good cause. It’s a win-win.

The next best volunteer opportunity for me was to work at a pet store adjacent to a local animal shelter. I adore animals, but I have concerns about working at a shelter directly because I usually think their rules are a little too strict and I think I would end up taking home about five dogs in my first week. So, volunteering at the shop next door would be better for me. I get to help the pups, but I don’t have to end up with a rescue foundation at my home.

I’d like to do both (event planning and shop running), but unfortunately I won’t have the time. So, I’ll have a choice to make. My plan is to talk to each organization to see exactly what they would need from me, and then I’ll go from there. The event planning gig is only temporary, so I might end up doing that for a few months, and then devoting all of my volunteer time to the shelter’s store.

It’s exciting to find ways to help out that are so well-suited to my personality and likes. I think that’s an important message to send to those who aren’t volunteering at the moment: You really can find a way to help by doing something that interests you. It might just take a little effort to find the right cause, but trust me, in the end it’ll be worth it. You’ll feel great about your contribution and you’ll enjoy the time spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment